I set a goal to enter as many Spoonflower Design Challenges as possible this year (I think I've done about a dozen). This month was a series of tea towel themes.
It only took my (Brooklyn-born) daughter about six years of living in Germany before she decided she really, really wanted a Dirndl. That she really, really wanted a Dirndl...but, of course, none of the Dirndls we discovered online were quite the right one. Having no actual connection to Bavaria, the Dirndl of her dreams was most likely slightly more “fairytale” than “traditional”. So, gazing at the piles of interesting fabric laying around my studio one day, I decided to just make one myself.
I'm currently in love with ginamayes’s illustrative Sweet Mod Floral and thought it would be perfect for the skirt. For the bodice I used a minimal black and white print (Scattered Birds by melissa_boardman) and paired it all with heatherdutton’s stripy red Off the Grid for the apron. All printed on Spoonflower’s Kona Cotton.
A series of sweatshirts made from my enormous stash of Spoonflower fabric. I sold most of them locally, but several in smaller sizes are left.
In a few weeks I'll get around to posting what's left on Etsy.
Painting Wooden Things
Around here, we paint on everything.
Emily's giving the sofa at her lake house a makeover. I'll be sewing two long box cushion covers for the seats and about 10 pillow covers. For the box cushions I'm following this tutorial. These pictures are documenting the process.
We decided to dye the fabric for the seat royal blue, and then dip-dye the pillow covers in a white/blue ombre. I bought two blue dyes from Dharma Trading (strong navy and royal blue) but when we tested them, neither color was what we envisioned. So, we mixed them together 1:1 and suddenly, magically, we had our ideal blue.
Some of the fabric I have available on Spoonflower. Click the links underneath the photos to purchase yardage in lots of different weights (even wallpaper and wrapping paper). Full catalog here.